Saturday 1 September 2007

Window round-up

The transfer window is finished, and on the whole I am happy with Charlton's wheeling and dealing. The last two days saw two arrivals and two departures.

Both Mills - experienced, tough tackling and influential - and Sodje, six foot odd and wide as a door - are good loan signings, whether as cover or in the first team.

Faye and Bent meanwhile have gone up north, also in "loan" deals. Faye need never return as far as I'm concerned, but I am in the minority of Charlton fans where Bent is concerned. Sure, we paid too much for him; sure, his wages are too high and sure, he doesn't score many goals, but I always thought that he won lots of headers, worked hard (at times), and would be very dangerous in this division. Most other Charlton fans disagree, I know.

I suppose that one reason for all the loans, not just at Charlton, is that it gives the clubs time to haggle over a fee, while the player is still eligible to play.

Today we play Palace. They'll be up for the game, no doubt. But will we? Will our newbees understand the importance of the game? We shall see.

No comments: